Florida Bicycle Association
Executive Director – Job Description
Would you love to help people get more active and reconnect with their community through bicycling? Are you a leader that can help improve traffic safety and save lives? The Florida Bicycle Association (FBA) could be your opportunity to make an impact, working to make Florida a place where bicycling is safe, accepted, and encouraged.
FBA is a statewide membership-based non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to encourage more people to bicycle through education and advocacy. We seek an Executive Director that can build on the Association’s 25-year history of safety education and advocacy, setting the course for the future and helping us grow. More information about FBA’s history is available here.
Job Description and Responsibilities
The FBA Executive Director leads all safety education and advocacy efforts, along with communications/marketing, fundraising, and membership development. These responsibilities are described below:
• Safety Education: Implement and promote educational programming, assess effectiveness, and position FBA as a subject-matter expert on bicycle safety
• Fundraising and Membership Development: Implement fundraising strategies (i.e., must be comfortable asking for monetary donations), build FBA’s membership base, and generate proposals for grants and other sources of revenue
• Advocacy: Guide the development of a Legislative Platform, effectively communicate key issues important to Florida cyclists, and build relationships with appropriate coalitions, organizations, and elected officials that lead to results
• Administration: Responsible for the day-to-day operations of FBA, including budget development and management, overseeing all contracts and consultant work, coordination and facilitation of Board meetings, and hiring/supervising of support staff
The Executive Director reports directly to the FBA Board of Directors.
• Minimum of 5 years in nonprofit management or comparable management experience
• Willingness to be “the face and voice” of FBA, including visibility on social media platforms
• A history of effective fundraising and generating new revenue streams
• A demonstrated passion for bicycling and bicycle-related issues
• Strong listener, effective communicator (including public speaking), and proven ability to build partnerships
• Experience with or capable of learning a number of software programs, including but not limited to Club Express, WordPress, Mailchimp, SurveyMonkey, Wufoo, and Microsoft Office Suite
• High level of integrity and ability to work independently from a home office
• Experience working with a non-profit Board of Directors and volunteers
• Able to travel for meetings and activities anywhere in the state of Florida
• Must be a Florida resident or be willing to move to Florida
• Bachelor’s Degree from Accredited Institution
The Executive Director position is presently the only full-time employee of FBA. The current Executive Director plans to be available to provide guidance and training, on a contract/hourly basis.
Salary will be commensurate with the selected candidate’s background and experience. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter (please include two references) and resume to email@example.com with “FBA Job Application – Your Name” as the subject line. Please indicate in the cover letter whether you are seeking full-time or part-time employment.