FBA Legislative Platform
The Florida Bicycle Association supports statutory provisions to ensure the safety and rights of bicyclists.
To achieve this goal, we ask Florida’s legislators to consider the following:
- Expand the current Move Over law to include PEOPLE. This initiative is seeking bill sponsorship for the 2020 session.
- Create E-Bike statutory definition to match national efforts by PeopleforBikes. SB 1148 and HB 971 have been filed. HB 971 to be heard in first committee 1.28.2020
- Protect all Vulnerable Road Users. SB 308 and HB 455 have been filed.
- Clean up statutory language with regards to definitions of sidewalks, crosswalks, lane position of bicyclists and other related matters, as discussed and vetted by the Florida Pedestrian and Bicycle Focused Initiative (Alert Today Florida).
- Support FDOT’s SUNTrail and Complete Streets initiatives, in addition to funding initiatives for natural surface trails.
The 2020 session starts on Tuesday, January 14, and concludes on Friday, March 13.
If you need an in-person walk-through on how you can be part of the process, simply request an “Advocacy 101” presentation by completing our online form.
Ready to meet with your elected official but don’t know what to say? FBA members have access to our “Move Over” talking points from our Membership Documents Library.
Subscribe to our email list for 2020 session updates:
Below are the 2020 Metropolitan Planning Organization Advisory Council legislative updates: