FBA Legislative Platform
The Florida Bicycle Association supports statutory provisions to ensure the safety and rights of bicyclists.
To achieve this goal, we ask Florida’s legislators to consider the following:
- Expand the current Move Over law to include PEOPLE. This initiative is seeking bill sponsors for the 2021 session.
- Create E-Bike statutory definition to match national efforts by PeopleforBikes. It’s a LAW!
- Protect all Vulnerable Road Users. SB 308 and HB 455 died in committee during 2020 session.
- Clean up statutory language with regards to definitions of sidewalks, crosswalks, lane position of bicyclists and other related matters, as discussed and vetted by the Florida Pedestrian and Bicycle Focused Initiative (Alert Today Florida).
- Support FDOT’s SUNTrail and Complete Streets initiatives, in addition to funding initiatives for natural surface trails.
The 2020 Florida legislative session has ended, but work remains to prepare for the 2021 session.
FBA is working with the League of American Bicyclists to advocate at the national level. Although the 2020 National Bike Summit went virtual due to COVID-19, we must continue to educate our elected officials at all levels. Visit our Team Florida page for more information.
If you need an in-person walk-through on how you can be part of the process, simply request an “Advocacy 101” presentation by completing our online form.
Ready to meet with your elected official but don’t know what to say? FBA members have access to our “Move Over” talking points from our Membership Documents Library.
Subscribe to our email list for updates:
Below are the 2020 Metropolitan Planning Organization Advisory Council legislative updates: