FBA Legislative Platform
The Florida Bicycle Association supports statutory provisions to ensure the safety and rights of bicyclists.
To achieve this goal, we ask Florida’s legislators to consider the following:
- Expand the current Move Over law to include PEOPLE. This initiative on hold as we look to support HB 71 and SB 158 to create criminal penalties for causing bodily harm or death to vulnerable road users.
- Make texting while driving a primary offense for all drivers and pass a hand-held device ban. Please support HB 107 and SB 76!
- Create an E-Bike statutory definition to match national efforts.
- Clean up statutory language with regards to definitions of sidewalks, crosswalks, lane position of bicyclists and other related matters.
5. Support FDOT’s SUNTrail and Complete Streets initiatives, in addition to funding initiatives for natural surface trails.
The 2019 session starts on Tuesday, March 5. Bills are currently being filed and scheduled to go before committees. Need an in-person walk-through on how you can be part of the process? Request an “Advocacy 101” presentation by completing our online form.
Subscribe to our email list for 2019 session updates: