FBA Legislative Platform
The Florida Bicycle Association supports statutory provisions to ensure the safety and rights of bicyclists.
To achieve this goal, we ask Florida’s legislators to consider the following:
- Expand the current Move Over law to include vulnerable road users. We have a bill sponsor! Thank you Senator Baxley, District 12, for filing Senate Bill 116 and House Representative Charlie Stone, District 22 for filing House Bill 117!
- Create Vulnerable Road User legislation that is enforceable regardless of leaving the scene of the crash.
- Make texting while driving a primary offense for all drivers. Bills have been filed! Thank you Senator Perry, District 8 for filing Senate Bill 90. NEW BILL FOR THE HOUSE! House Representative Jackie Toledo, District 60, and House Representative Emily Slosberg, District 91, Co-Sponsors of House Bill 33!
- Clean up statutory language with regards to definitions of sidewalks, crosswalks, lane position of bicyclists and other related matters.
5. Support FDOT’s SUNTrail and Complete Streets initiatives, in addition to funding initiatives for nature surface trails.
The 2018 session is HERE! Make contact with your elected official as part of our “Educate your Delegate” initiative. Need a personal walk-through on the process? Request a presentation by completing our online form.
Please contact your legislator with this simple ask:
The Florida Bicycle Association is asking for your help to save lives. We know there is a public safety concern with regards to traffic fatalities and it is our hope that you will help us by passing a Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Bill. We feel PEOPLE need to be protected, especially first responders. Education is key for bicyclist and pedestrian safety, especially for first responders as they ARE pedestrians when not inside a vehicle.
We appreciate your consideration.
Thank you for your time,
The Florida Bicycle Association greatly appreciates your time in contacting legislators with this important ask.