FBA Legislative Platform
The Florida Bicycle Association supports statutory provisions to ensure the safety and rights of bicyclists.
To achieve this goal, we ask Florida’s legislators to consider the following:
- Expand the current Move Over law to include vulnerable road users. We have a bill sponsor! Thank you Senator Baxley, District 12, for filing Senate Bill 116 and House Representative Charlie Stone, District 22 for filing House Bill 117!
- Create Vulnerable Road User legislation that is enforceable regardless of leaving the scene of the crash.
- Make texting while driving a primary offense for all drivers. Bills have been filed! Thank you Senator Perry, District 8 for filing Senate Bill 90. NEW BILL FOR THE HOUSE! House Representative Jackie Toledo, District 60, and House Representative Emily Slosberg, District 91, Co-Sponsors of House Bill 33!
- Clean up statutory language with regards to definitions of sidewalks, crosswalks, lane position of bicyclists and other related matters.
5. Support FDOT’s SUNTrail and Complete Streets initiatives, in addition to funding initiatives for nature surface trails.
The 2018 session is just around the corner – now is the time to make contact with your elected official as part of our “Educate your Delegate” initiative. You may also wish to request a presentation by completing our online form.
Please contact your legislator with this simple ask:
The Florida Bicycle Association is asking for your help to save lives. We know there is a public safety concern with regards to traffic fatalities and it is our hope that the current Move Over law for emergency vehicles [FS 316.126(b)] WOULD be expanded to include vulnerable road users – we feel PEOPLE need to be part of this important law, including first responders and service employees. The inclusion of bicyclists would replace the current 3-Foot Passing law [FS 316.083] with a clear, enforceable law.
Senator Baxley of District 12 has filed SB 116 and Representative Stone has filed HB 117 for the 2018 Session. Please consider co-sponsoring and supporting this important and life-saving piece of legislation.
We appreciate your consideration and are willing to work with you as a House bill sponsor or Senate co-sponsor to improve this law. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Thank you for your time,
The Florida Bicycle Association greatly appreciates your time in contacting legislators with this important ask.