FBA Legislative Platform
The Florida Bicycle Association supports statutory provisions to ensure the safety and rights of bicyclists.
To achieve this goal, we ask Florida’s legislators to consider the following:
- Expand the current Move Over law to include vulnerable road users.
- This consideration will replace the current 3-Ft passing law for bicyclists, deemed unenforceable by numerous law enforcement agencies.
- This may also be an opportunity to clarify double-yellow line crossing to pass bicyclists, pedestrians and other vulnerable road users.
- Create Vulnerable Road User legislation that is enforceable regardless of leaving the scene of the crash.
- Make texting while driving a primary offense for all drivers.
- Clean up statutory language with regards to definitions of sidewalks, crosswalks, lane position of bicyclists and other related matters.
- Continue to support FDOT’s SUNTrail and Complete Streets initiatives.
Join us in the process of contacting legislators – find your House Representative and Senator.
Please contact your legislator with this simple ask:
The Florida Bicycle Association is asking for your help to save lives. We know there is a public safety concern with regards to traffic fatalities and it is our hope that the current Move Over law for emergency vehicles [FS 316.126(b)] WOULD be expanded to include vulnerable road users – we feel PEOPLE need to be part of this important law, including first responders and service employees. The inclusion of bicyclists would replace the current 3-Foot Passing law [FS 316.083] with a clear, enforceable law.
We appreciate your consideration and are willing to work with you as a bill sponsor to improve this law. Please contact legcom@fbamembership.
Thank you for your time,
The Florida Bicycle Association greatly appreciates your time in contacting legislators with this important ask.